Starting the project and testing the water...

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 1.16.43 PM.png

I decided to do a mini project to test the production and performance of a cantastoria, because, of course, I’ve never done this. Because this is just a little rehearsal, I decided not to write an original story, but do a retelling of the Persephone myth. I chose this because it’s Spring and also because I like it. And, also because there’s something in this myth that feels like it could be a good start to a climate-change story. To work on my storytelling, a watched a great Skillshare class, Creative Fiction Writing: Create a Retelling of Your Favorite Story by Kiersten White. (skillshare.com)

I looked at several examples of cantastoria panels online in order to figure out how I wanted to make them. I think I’ve decided on a combination painting/digital collage. I did a print test to see if my idea for size and construction was big enough, and I’m happy with it.

I did some basic paintings and enlarged them to about 27” X 36” in Photoshop. I then created tiles from the image so that I could use the laser printer at school, and print out each tile on tabloid size paper--nine in total. I then put them together like a puzzle. I noticed that I can make the image larger because I have such big borders. Before doing any more painting, I’ll see what the perfect ratio will be for future printing. I’m going to try to give this sheet a light coat of acrylic so that the paper has more durability for flipping during performance.